December 15, 2008

The birth

I've had people asking for the birth story, so I figured I would just write it out here to share with everyone.
I woke up Sunday morning around 4 am with contractions. I waited for a while to see if they would keep up. I had been having contractions off and on since Thursday, so I needed to know if this was something worth waking Dan up for, or something that would pass. Around 5:30 I decided to wake Dan up. We called my mom and dad and started to get ready. Then we called the midwife, told her we were on our way and started our hour drive to the clinic. We arrived around 7:30 and right as I got out of the van my water broke. This was a different experience for me. My water didn't break with either of the boys and I was wondering if I would ever have that experience. I must admit that I thought at that point that things were going to go quickly. My daughter on the other hand, had another idea.
At 8 am I was 7 cm. We sat around and chatted while in between my contractions and my mother commented several times how easy I had it. I didn't act like a woman in transition. I was talking and laughing. Around 11:30 my midwife told me that I was fully dilated and could push if I wanted. I did some here and there, but seemed to make more progress when I just breathed through the contractions and since I wasn't feeling an overwhelming urge to push I didn't.
The problem at this point was that things were going so slowly, and Pip was in an awkward position and didn't seem to want to progress down the birth canal. I started having trouble relaxing and as my mom put it, started to finally act like a woman in transition. Around 3:00, with cramps in my back and inner thighs that would not go away even between contraction, and completely unable to relax, I made a comment about warm showers. I don't know why we hadn't thought of it sooner. I got out of bed and into the shower and the warm water on my back and belly were like a soothing balm. My midwife had a birthing tub and asked if I would like to get into it and be immersed in water. We filled it up as much as we could (there was only so much hot water) and I climbed in. It was wonderful!! All the stress and aches melted away. I could rest between contractions, it was almost as if I had taken a nap and woken up rejuvenated. Within a half hour the contractions really started to pick up and started to feel the urge to push. This little girl likes to take her time and she did the same thing on the way out. I felt every inch, and then it was over. She was out and my midwife pulled her out of the water and placed her on my chest. Dan said I had a look of surprise on my face, but it was soon replaced with shear joy. I couldn't believe that my little girl was here and she was laying on my chest skin to skin without anyone trying to take her away. We sat there for a few minutes just being together, then Dan took her so I could get out of the tub and into the bed. Then he gave her back and we continued that beautiful time of just being mother and daughter. She was so calm and relaxed and alert. I tried to nurse her, but she was more interested in what was going on around her. She did eventually get down to business and caught on fast just like her brothers did. We got her dressed, and we ate something. Then I got up and took a shower, got dressed and we headed home. We stopped by my parents to drop off my mom and pick up the boys. They were so happy to meet their little sister and got to hold her. She met her Uncle Noah, then we took her home, and her Uncle Joel and Aunt Tabi were there to great her. She is doing so well and is so calm and relaxed. She had her first bowl movement last night before bed and slept well once mama figured out that she wanted to sleep close and not swaddled up in her own space. She was less than 12 hours out of the womb after all.
She was born at 4:34 pm on my 29th birthday. What a birthday present! She is a tiny little thing of 6 pounds 9 ounces, almost a full 2 pounds lighter than her brother A. was and is 19 in. long
We've spent today just being at home as a family. The boys have enjoyed holding her throughout the day. I don't think N. can get enough of her. He discovered that she likes it when he clicks his tongue, and A. can't stop giving her kisses.
I am so blessed! God is good! She is amazing!

6 comments:

The Nolls said...

YAY!! Greta is beautiful and I am so glad it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. That is awesome. Congratulations and hang in there with the recovery and adjustment! Praising God with you!

Sandra said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Your story brought tears to my eye. I wish mine had been more like this. Having a c-section really took away a little of the beauty of it all and not getting to hold Hayden until 24 hours after his birth breaks my heart every time I think about it.

Enjoy your sweet girl and these precious moments together!

Emma said...

Sandy,
my first was a c-section and my second had aspects that just make me mad when I think about it. I understand your sense of loss. Those experiences made this one even sweeter. Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're blogging already! :) I'm so glad this was a good labor and when if got bad the water worked so well. I'm most glad that Great is finally here and you're both happy and healthy. Looks like third time is the charm! I'm so glad you had such a good delivery!!!!!!

Sandra said...

You were able to have a vbac? I really hope that I will be able to do that.

toad said...

now i can stalk you back! what a great story :) ps- i am glad to know that someone reads my blog...sometimes i wonder if i am just writing for myself to read!

Not how, I know You can do it. Not who, I know You went through it. Not where, you're preparing a place for me. Not why, all my sin is the reason. Not what, Your return into season, but how long, how long will it be?
O momentary grace of mortal men, Which we more hunt for than the grace of God. --- Shakespeare, Richard III