July 30, 2008

Growing up

Last night we had BLTs and apple "waldorf" salad for dinner. It was the perfect summer dinner. The fresh tomato with salty bacon with lettuce on wheat toast with a side of organic apples with craisins and peanuts and a touch of mayonaise hit the spot.
The amazing thing... N. ate all of it and didn't even pick it apart. My little boy is growing up.
He came into the kitchen as I was fixing dinner and said, "Mom, I think I'll try a craisin tonight." I told him he should try the whole salad because I thought he would really like it, so he did, and as he put the apple into his mouth and crunched down on it he said, "mmmm! that's really good." This is my boy who for the last several years has refused to eat fruit in almost any shape or form except for jam!

It seems such a little thing to get excited about, but it's just another sign of how my son is growing up. It excites and saddens me at the same time. My how time flies when you're having fun.

No comments:

Not how, I know You can do it. Not who, I know You went through it. Not where, you're preparing a place for me. Not why, all my sin is the reason. Not what, Your return into season, but how long, how long will it be?
O momentary grace of mortal men, Which we more hunt for than the grace of God. --- Shakespeare, Richard III